SC - Jewish food in period

San Fernando Valley Girl sfvg at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 7 19:16:55 PST 1998

> Roast Lamb, Wheat and Lentil Soup, Greens and Green Beans (!) cooked in oil,
> Chickpeas with Lemon, Cloth Bread, Crisp Unleavened Bread, Hard Boiled Eggs,
> Olives, Dried and Fresh Fruit, Pistachios and Almonds, Honey, Fried Cakes with
> Honey, Tamarind Drink.
>
>  Comments on the above menu, anyone?
>
> Aoife

Chickpeas with Lemon - Humus
Hard Boiled Eggs - Served in a salt water broth
Dried and Fresh Fruit - Tsimmes
Fried Cakes with Honey - Matzomeal pancakes

Other than the cloth bread, fried cakes, and tamarind drink, this is pretty much
what my family eats for special occassions.  Most of this stuff is still eaten in
Jewish homes today.  I can post the recipes I have but I don't know if they are
period or not.  I do know that they are from the early 1800's though.

Dorothea of the Oaks

- --
San Fernando Valley Girl
sfvg at earthlink.net