SC - teaching kids (was beerbread)

Lillian Johnston LillianJ at bethlehem.org.au
Wed Feb 11 17:29:14 PST 1998

> >My husband does this with the 10 yr old.  It's great.  Now I'm having
> trouble
> >with the 2 yr old.  He wants to 'help' all the time and I'm not ready
> have
> >him up at the stove cooking quite yet.  The little one loves to wash
> dishes
> >too.   :o_)
> >
> >                                            Melusine
[Lillian Johnston]  I have had the same problem with my two, 6 year
difference between them. BUT, if one ever asked to help, there is always
something they can do, even if it is open a jar (success not an issue),
stirring a bowl, washing that spoon I really need again, watching to
make sure the pot doesn't boil over (from a safe distance).

Since both of my girls came home from the Hospital, they have been in
the kitchen, first in a chair on the bench top, then sitting on the
bench top, to big stool, small stool and then on there own two feet.

> DISHES?  How on earth?  haven't been able to get that concept through
> yet.
> Tell me tell me!
[Lillian Johnston]  Dishes are not a problem with more than one, if you
don't cook that meal, you are expected to clean up. End of Story.
Everyone helps or doesn't eat (exception for Homework also help get
homework done)

>  Ya'know.....papa, I sure hope you deem this budding thread
> as topical, cuz I see lots of places we can go with it.  One thing I'm
> working up to is my first true period dish, and can't think of a
> better
> thing than to do it with my boys.  I have been at sea most of their
> lives,
> so every opportunity.......
> So, since I brought it up, I'll push the thread a little.  What
> recommendations would the list make re a first period dish for Puck
> and his
> 11 and 12 year old tax deductions to cook as a team.
[Lillian Johnston]  My 11 year old's first solo effort was the chicken
and rice dish from To the King's taste? I think was the book. She under
cooked the rice and took 3 hours to prepare, we were very hungry when it
arrived to the table, but there was none left. and she had a big smile
on her face.

Her second go was the raspberry cream, which was not edible, but she
knows what she did wrong and can't wait to try again.

Hope this helps, I love having my children in the kitchen with me.
Cleone, yes she has a name, has been found in the kitchen at every event
since she was 6, washing veggie, shelling peas, etc and all our cooks,
unless they are being kind to a mother, love having her and find her
things to do.

Nicolette

PS. Charles, you up for a little redacting this Saturday. Lots of people
at my place making armour and we can find lots of help eating mistakes.