SC - King's taste comments

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Sat Feb 14 13:28:29 PST 1998

Crystal of the Westermark replied:

>It's just that her
> hippocras recipe is misleading to people entering contests.

Would it be all right if it only mislead people not entering contests?

Or in other words, doesn't this way of putting it imply that the only
reason to care about what is or is not historically accurate is in order to
win contests? I'm sure that is not Crystal's actual opinion, but it is what
her comment seems to imply--which may say something about SCA culture, at
least around here and probably most other places.

On a related point, one of our friends asked Elizabeth if she could help
out with making food for some local royalty to hand out at Estrella. The
particular food suggested was chocolate chip cookies. The friend in
question has participated in our cooking workshops--but it apparently
simply did not occur to her that there was anything odd about royalty
demonstrating generosity by handing out strikingly out of period food, or
about asking someone with an interest in period food to make strikingly out
of period food for that purpose.

Elizabeth volunteered to make currant cakes instead.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/