SC - Calamari, squid, cuttlefish

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Feb 14 23:10:10 PST 1998

Admantius said:
>... The pieces are fried in a
>dry, ungreased frying pan without water, but with a generous coating of
>salt in the pan (anyone who's pan-broiled a steak knows what that's all
>about, I suspect).

I’ve never tried this. I don’t know that I’ve eaten meat done this way,
either. More details, please. What is the result? Is this a coating of
just salt? Or salt and other seasonings? How generous a coating?

>It actually sounds pretty good, but then I am a confirmed calamari and
>cuttlefish fiend.

So am I, but I’ve only had it out of a can and at an oriental resturant
we frequent.

>I've also seen them fresh /
>raw in the same markets, and, now that I think about it, have a dried
>one in my fridge, which involves considerable soaking in baking soda and
>water to render palatable, not unlike the legendary lutefisk.

Why do you add baking soda to the water? Why not just water alone?

Thanks.
   Stefan li Rous
   stefan at texas.net