SC - Flours was:[Dstlg] beer bread, OOP

marilyn traber mtraber at email.msn.com
Tue Feb 17 08:55:37 PST 1998

Good Gentle,
I bake on a daily basis, and advanced in my apprenticeship in kitchen to
pastries, and have much experience in baking from the making and eating end.
For the most part, the hearty peasant style breads that I make, as well as
basic cakes, muffins and puff pastries as well as short pastry, there is no
significant difference. I find that how you handle the ingredients to be
more important, as is the quality/freshness of the ingredients. I do have my
share of oopses[my @#!^^% electric range is inaccurate as hell now due to a
faulty thermostat, and lack of money to upgrade to gas] as does anybody
else.
I don't doubt that you notice a difference in flours, but as i said, i have
much experience in the kitchen 'chemistry' and tend to automatically adjust
to the weather accordingly. I have never gotten a good loaf out of a
machine, and just dumping everything into a mixer and going away while it
bakes itself doesnt appeal-i like playing in the  dough!

margali