SC - Candied Citrus Peel

Library Staff betpulib at ptd.net
Tue Feb 17 15:25:20 PST 1998

> Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 16:55:07 -0800
> From: david friedman <ddfr at best.com>
> Subject: SC - Candied Citrus Peel
>
> What is the earliest recipe that anyone knows of for candied lemon  or
> orange peel?  The earliest I know of is in Hugh Platt's _Delightes for
> Ladies_, 1609, and it is not very clear.  I ask because we have got lemons
> and tangerines coming out of our ears--I've made two years' supply of
> marmelade (OOP version) and haven't made a noticable dent in the supply.
>
> Elizabeth/Betty Cook

I have had excellent results preserving tangerines according to the
directions in The Good Huswife's Jewel (V 1). This preserves them whole,
skin fairly intact. One can then serve them whole, in a pool of their
liquor, during the dead of winter. In a bowl they look just like regular
oranges until you try to pick one up! They hold their shape rather well
if you do not over-boil them. It's quite spectacular. If you combine
serving these in slim wedges with the flaky pastry and the almond butter
(in the newest/best fashion) from the same volume, you have something
wonderful, lent-ish, and quite delicious.

In additon, There is a recipe for a Salad of Leamons in A Book of Fruits
and Flowers---the very first recipe, if memory serves. It is essentially
a preserved peel recipe, though it does not seem to be served the same
way we would serve prepared and preserved peel nowadays. It is a little
later than your date, though, IIRC.

Perhaps the answer will be found closer to the warmer climates, rather
than in Northern Europe?

Aoife---from work
- --
To auto reply, remove "scramspam" from the above e-mail address.