SC - OT - I ain't afraid o' no Pucks...

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Feb 17 12:29:39 PST 1998

> Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 11:53:49 -0500
> From: "R.A. Kappler II" <kappler at edgenet.net>
> Subject: SC - Puck bashing rant

In case you hadn't noticed, ;  ) Puck wrote:

> OKAY!  Enough is enough!  Yes, I have fun playing 'the village idiot'; Yes I
> enjoy playing jokes as well as being the butt of them; yes, if one of my
> many friends on the lists makes a faux pas, i try to humorously point it out
> in the spirit of good clean fun.  BUT!  Never, ever, ever have I derided
> someone for not knowing something, or doing something that might be
> considered less than intelligent on either the cooks list or the dist list.
> I have never flamed anyone except a certain cretin who shall remain nameless
> on the East Kingdom list and have come to regret even that.  I am an expert
> in steam engineering, nothing else.  I have a good store of knowledge of
> other subjects, but have never presumed, to my knowledge, to belittle anyone
> who had less knowledge than I, and consider myself an absolute novice about
> most of the subjects we discuss on these lists, including brewing.  I am as
> newbie as newbie gets, and try very hard to treat others with respect and an
> occasional poke in the ribs.  My concern is that some other newbie comes to
> the list, sees a post like this, and wont post themselves for fear of attack
> from a rapacious Puck.  I realise these "no comments please, Puck" are also
> in the spirit of fun, but think of those who do not yet know me, or for that
> matter, any of us.  I am friend to all unless given reason to be otherwise
> and just a little miffed that a general impression is being created here
> that poor lil Puck will attack at the slightest hint of 'weakness.'  Please
> folks, I'm not that bad.  Am I?

All I will say on the matter is that after having dealt with several
Pucks of various types in my life, I can honestly state that what they
do is almost always according to a well-defined set of Puckish rules,
and I find it greatly commendable to adhere to a well-defined value and
rule system. Pucks are folk of their word (even if we don't always
understand the words), and folk of their word are a rare treasure.

Adamantius
troy at asan.com