SC - Period Breakfasts...

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Tue Feb 17 15:07:59 PST 1998

And it came to pass on 17 Feb 98, that jeffrey s heilveil wrote:

> Please pardon an uneducated Jew (an to think I used to teach
> comparative religion, but plese enlighten me on which are flesh and
> which are fish days.  I do know that the sabbath was a fish time for
> Catholics, but that's about it.

As it happens, I'm a Jew also, but I'll do my best to answer.  Fish
days were during Lent -- the 40-day period leading up to Easter --
and on various other holy days.  According to Anne Wilson in _Food
and Drink in Britain_, all Fridays and Saturdays were kept as fish
days until late in the Middle Ages, and Wednesdays as well until the
early 15th century.  I believe that the schedule may have varied in
other countries.  At times, the ban on meat extended to dairy
products as well, hence one of the reasons of the popularity of
almond milk.

> Hiding behind freshly baked Challah,
> Bogdan

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain of Tethba