SC - Breakfast

Yeldham, Caroline S csy20688 at GlaxoWellcome.co.uk
Wed Feb 18 02:17:24 PST 1998

Re: 'Baconn'd herring'

I understood salted and smoked herring was normally referred to as 'red
herring', whereas white herring was just salted.  On the other hand, I'd
have through it unlikely that bacon would have been consumed in Lent,
without special approval.

I understood (and I can't remember where I read this - could be Fast and
Feast by Bridget Ann Henisch ) that breakfast was not really approved of -
that a 'decent' person only needed to eat once a day, anything else was
greed (1 of the 7 deadly sins) and that is why breakfast and supper were
kept very simple (the less trouble, the less attention is drawn to your
potential sin!)

I would also like the Cinnamon Mead receipe (and simple instructions, its a
while since I made mead), on or off list, I don't mind!

Caroline