SC - Baconn'd Herring Breakfasts

sunnie at CUPID.COM sunnie at CUPID.COM
Wed Feb 18 04:47:14 PST 1998

SC>> Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 20:56:58 +0000
SC>> From: "Robin Carroll-Mann" <harper at idt.net>
SC>> Subject: Re: SC - Period Breakfasts...

SC>> I have some pages photocopied out of _The Northumberland Household
SC>> Book_, which contains the household records of an English noble
SC>> establishment from 1512.  It details what various members of the
SC>> household were given for breakfast on fish and flesh days.  Here are
SC>> a few details, paraphrased.
SC>>
SC>> Breakfasts in Lent:
SC>>
SC>> My Lord and My Lady -- a loaf of bread in trenchers, 2 manchets, a
SC>> quart of beer, a quart of wine, 2 pieces of saltfish, 6 "baconn'd"
SC>> herrings, 4 white herrings or a dish of sproits [sprats?]

SC><snip>
SC>
SC>> Lady Brighid ni Chiarain of Tethba
SC>> Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
SC>> mka Robin Carroll-Mann *** harper @ idt.net

SC>I'm curious as to one thing, as HG Cariadoc mentioned baconned herring
SC>too. I'm working on the assumption here that "baconn'd" means cured and
SC>smoked, or some similar preservative process, rather than being cooked
SC>with bacon, which was also done pretty commonly in places like
SC>Scandinavia, but which would be in violation of the various Church
SC>dietary laws.

SC>Just a thort...

SC>Adamantius
SC>troy at asan.com

SC>============================================================================

Not necessarily....if the reference was to using the leavings of the
bacon or otherwise using the bacon smoke for the preparation of the
herring, it does not break any laws.  You can cook a sauce with meat as
long as the meat is not consumed and is saved for another time.  In
addition, the meat/fish days are a little more complex to my knowledge.
Fish on Friday all year long, Ash Wednsday, during lent if you are
really devoted.  Meat are all other days.  In addition, nothing except
mediine may be consumed between 12 and 3 on Good Friday.  If the days
have changed drastically over the years, let me know.  These are the
traditions I was taught.

Brenna