SC - Copyright of Recipes

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Wed Feb 18 11:54:24 PST 1998

Aoife writes:

>I think the worry here is whether the items were voluntarily contributed or
>if they were "gleaned" from other sources (making it hard for authors to
>track down their own work).

In the particular EMail exchange I was involved in, the person who had
asked me about copyright issues clearly did not have permissions from the
authors. My memory was he had collected things from the web and elsewhere.
My suggestion was that he get permissions--his response was to destroy his
collection instead.

>There is always an answer if we
>persevere. I THINK the answer is this: Solicit voluntary contributions or
>directly contact the authors of the material for permission. Omit any
>material (however valuable) that does not come with specific permission to
>publish/re-publish attached. Give credit where it is due. Charge minimally,
>and give profits to a worthy cause (pediatric aids comes to mind, or
>make-a-wish).

All of this may be good and generous, but once you have permission from the
authors the legal problems are solved--minimal charges and giving away the
profits are purely optional.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/