SC - medieval beverages

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Wed Feb 18 09:36:22 PST 1998

> > Does anyone have any suggestions for non-beer (blech!, we’ve discussed
> > this, let’s not do it again), non-sugared type medieval drinks?

Ha! My turn to get ya at your own game, Stefan! I found a reference for
you in your own florilegium files, to a beverage called 'twilsy', which
is simply water, with a a plain or fruit-flavored vinegar added to
taste. I took the suggestion in the file and tried it with raspberry
vinegar- not bad at all. There was a similar drink, but with honey or
sugar water added, called 'switchel'. I would suppose you could use a
non-suger sweetener for that. Are you proud of me?
Hugs & Pinches,
Angelique

===========
Thank you. No, I had not taken the time to look through my own file.
I was thinking about the vinegar/water idea after Master Cariadoc
mentioned it a few messages back, but I was only thinking of apple-
cider vinegar. I still was leery of the taste but willing to try
it. This sounds like it might be more palatable. I’ve never looked
for fruit flavored vinegars in my store. Any evidence that fruit-
flavored or herbed vinegars are period? although it sounds like
an obvious process.

I noticed a pair of flavored vinegars on the company cafeteria
salad bar today, so I can see they should be available.

Now that you mention it, I do remember the names twilsy and switchel.
I’ll look in the file.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net

(Uh oh. Do I really come across that pompous about the files? I’m
just the editor. It is you folks that know all this stuff. I just
collect it.)