SC - Fast Days (was Period Breakfasts...)

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Thu Feb 19 12:47:40 PST 1998

At 6:30 PM -0800 2/18/98, Crystal A. Isaac wrote:
>Am I reading this optomistically or could medieval peoples eat meat on
>Sundays during Lent?
>
>(Elizabeth/Betty Cook)wrote:
>> Fridays every week were fast days (and still were in my childhood for Roman
>> Catholics); at some periods, Wednesdays and/or Saturdays were fast days, as
>> was all of Lent (the 40 days before Easter not counting the Sundays) and (I
>> think) all of Advent (the four weeks before Christmas) except for the
>> Sundays.  Ordinary fast days did not allow eating meat (although fish was
>> allowed), fast days in Lent also banned dairy and eggs.

I believe that is correct (although I am going from modern doctrine here,
not from a period reference).  As I understand it, Sundays in Lent aren't
properly part of Lent at all--that is why the "forty days of Lent", from
Ash Wednesday to Holy Saturday, only adds up to forty if you skip the
Sundays.  Every Sunday is considered to be a mini-Easter celebration and is
therefore a feast day not a fast day.

Elizabeth