SC - Copyright of Recipes

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Thu Feb 19 22:24:50 PST 1998

At 9:54 AM -0800 2/19/98, Anne-Marie Rousseau wrote:

>So, while we all agree its ok to use our stuff, how do we make sure its
>used in an appropriate manner?

This is two questions: What rules should we make for the use of our stuff
and how can we enforce them.

My answer to the first question is the permission at the beginning of the
_Miscellany_. Use is permitted if whatever is used is given complete and
unaltered, and credit is given. That restriction (if followed) guarantees
that my material is not being used to spread false information (unless, of
course, it is my false information due to my mistakes), and that the reader
can distinguish my stuff from whatever else is included.

As to the second, it is very hard. As a practical matter, none of us is
likely to sue anyone in the Society for copyright infringement over this
sort of thing. The most it is practical to do is to complain to the person
responsible and anyone selling the material that your work is being used
without either credit or permission.

I can, incidentally, top your story. CA 79, as you may remember, had a
whole lot of what it claimed were medieval recipes, almost none of which
were. The exceptions included two from the _Miscellany_ (slightly altered),
one with credit, one without.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/