SC - kitchen kits (long)

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Feb 24 21:19:33 PST 1998

Philippa comments:
: Do you have a source for period bellows? The blowpipe was neat cuz I could
: make it myself. I grant you that for a kitchen, bellows would likely be
: more common.
:
Bellows are easy enough to make yourself. All you need is wood and flesh on
leather, with perhaps a metal tube for the air to go out.

- ------------
Actually I believe it is a little more complex than this. I have been
doing some looking into bellows since I would like to create one for
the pewter casting I do. Even in the simpler ones, you will want a
one way valve, which can easily be done with leather. The more
sophisticated bellows had two chambers. One was emptying while the
other was filling. This gives a continuous blast of air. However, this
may be less important for cooking fires.

Why do you specify flesh on leather? I assume you are wanting something
that is more airproof. I imagine you could coat suede with something.
But yes, a thin, smooth-sided leather would seem to be preferable.

I have some messages on bellows and referances for them but I have not
edited them into a file. If there is interest, I will move that closer
to the top of my files project list.

If anyone has additional referances, including pictures of medieval
bellows, I would appreciate hearing about them.

Thanks.
Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net