Blancmange question finally answered (was Re: SC - Risotto)

kat kat at kagan.com
Wed Feb 25 13:07:08 PST 1998

I guess I'm asking the wrong questions... but it seems if I hang out here long enough I get the answers I'm looking for anyway... :-)

> Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 22:19:51 +0000
> From: "Robin Carroll-Mann" <harper at idt.net>
> Subject: Re: SC - Risotto?

> And it came to pass on 24 Feb 98, that L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt
> wrote:

> > Hello, all. I am wondering if anyone has come across a period
> > recipe
> > for Risotto or a Risotto-like dish.

<much snippage>

>> 57. ARROZ CON CALDO DE CARNE -- Rice with Meat Broth

<more snippage>

>>  But note one thing, as I
>>  said in the chapter on semolina: that in none of these pottages,
>> such as rice, semolina, barley and fideos, when cooked with meat
>> broth, is it necessary to put in any kind of milk; but everything is in
>> [accord  with] the appetites of the men who eat it, and with this
>> pottage there is no need to cast sugar upon the dishes; however
>> sugar never harms the food, and the excellence is in this; that each
>> one does  according to his taste.

So according to this end-note from the above recipe; it seems that it WOULD be possible for me to make rice in chicken stock and leave out the almond milk and still have a period dish!

HOORAY!!!!!!

My thanks, good Robin; I am in your debt.

	- kat