SC - Re: Recognition

Ann & Les Shelton sheltons at conterra.com
Thu Jan 22 17:23:04 PST 1998

<  It's common in this area for there to be a toast to the cooks,
following the toasts to the royalty and other dignitaries.  Since it's
often in the middle of the feast, the cooks usually hear it dimly
through the kitchen door.  At this event, the king summoned the entire
kitchen crew into the royal presence to receive their cheers. Lady
Brighid ni Chiarain  >

In Atlantia, cooks are almost always brought out to receive the
populace's recognition {usually at the most mission-critical time in the
kitchen, but who's going to tell the King you'd rather do it 5 minutes
later?}.  Sometimes we liven things up a little.  A few years ago, a
cook received an anatomically correct cake {long story} as a token of
appreciation.  A couple of months ago, the grandmotherly head cook
insisted that the kitchen staff join hands and skip all the way across
the hall to High Table.  I can't imagine royalty offering a toast when
the honorees aren't in the hall, but to each his own.

John le Burguillun