SC - Veal vs Beef Stock in Onion Soup

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Jan 2 07:27:12 PST 1998

>An excellent description of small mead. However, a little point: many
>people are allergic to sulfites. If you use them, please add that fact
>to your labels. If you are allergic to Sulfites, please do NOT simply
>skip the sanitization step, use another agent such as unscented
>household bleach (a teaspoon per gallon of water and wait 30 minutes -
>and don't let any get into your mead) or Iodophor

We routinely make small mead, based on Digby's recipe ("weak honey drink"),
without either sulfites or bleach or any equivalent, and have had no
problems.  Note that the recipe ferments for only about 24 hours before
bottling and a few days in the bottle. It starts out sterile, having boiled
for some time. Our worked out version is in the _Miscellany_.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/