SC - Making Soda

Fri Jan 2 08:28:27 PST 1998

> Date: Thu, 1 Jan 1998 21:58:12 -0500
> From: Virginia Legowik <keaeris at fred.net>
> Subject: Re: SC - Long: Da whole onion soup deal, including porrey chapeleyn
>
> Does veal stock produce a better stock over beef itself?  I note, even when
> I go to the trouble of making good beef stock with the bones and such that
> the stock is somewhat heavy tasting.  Is this just me?
>
> Fursa, who actually makes onion soup the hard way fairly frequently

Hmmm. How to explain. Apples aren't any better than oranges, just
different. The apparent preference for veal bones when making brown
stock in Europe may simply be a matter of availability. In the USA, beef
bones are mostly easier to come by. But, just as veal often has a less
assertive flavor than beef, so does veal stock come across differently
than beef stock. It is more gelatinous and rich, but has less "roast
beef" flavor to mask the aromatic vegetables used in making the stock,
or the onion used in the soup.

The aromatics used in making the stock are usually a good way to keep it
from developing the heaviness you refer to. That should help. Also, a
splash of wine in the soup (I like Madeira) helps lighten the flavor,
and add a bit of complexity.

Ye gods, I sound like a cartoon wine critic: the stock will have the
merest hint of insouciance, and an impertinent bouquet, redolent of a
naughty patina ;  ) .

Good luck!

Adamantius
troy at asan.com