SC - Off-topic...sorry to bother you

Louise Sugar dragonfyr at tycho.com
Fri Jan 2 08:45:43 PST 1998

>Date: Thu, 01 Jan 1998 12:26:22 -0400
>From: Philip & Susan Troy <troy at asan.com>
>Subject: SC - Ice Cream and Martha Washington
><much snippage, mostly of Aoife's own verbage>>
>Could be wrong, but it was my understanding that the Martha Washington
>who owned/added to the MW Boke of Cookerye _was_ the 1st American
>President's wife.

Really, now I'll have to go back and re-read the d****d intro. I'm fairly
sure it was substantiated that it was an entirely different woman, but I
haven't had any char this AM, and am also on a DIET (boooo, hissssss), so
chances are that I won't be checking it any time soon, due to mood swings,
caffein deprivation, and unruly children.

Who's our resident MW expert? I forget. Can someone please pipe up and
actually look at the thing? I've got three nasty urchins (young ladies, no
less)trying to kill each other in the other room..........no time to go
digging out books. If I were a really dedicated parent, I suppose I'd go out
there and save the antiques.

>My guess (and it's only a guess) is that you won't find recognizable ice
>cream until 16th or 17th century Italy.

Mine too. Great minds think alike (or was that "Two minds with but a single
thought?").

>Adamantius, who also once served melon sorbet at a Middle Eastern feast,
>in July. We brought it in the night before, and discovered, to our
>horror, that it had mysteriously grown very cold, and somewhat solid.
>Perfectly good sherbet, though, for all that. A shame to waste it.
>Everyone was vastly disappointed, as you can tell ;  )

Yup, I love sherbet (unfrozen fruit syrup, or even eaten when it's completed
the mysterious transmutation into solid when exposed to prolonged cold)
myself. Home-made Fruit Syrup is lovely, BTW, undiluted on OOP steamed
puddings (or Summer Pudding...yum. Damn, now I'm hungry. Two hours to lunch).

And, dear young chef Adamantius, I must say it is wonderful to see you
making your appearance once again in the cathedral. We missed you, even tho
it's only been a few days! Now, if we could only entice Tibor back into the
fold. The aisles seem terribly empty without him, not to mention the
pulpit.........

Aoife, now wondering at the mysterious quiet in the Living Room.

PS__News Flash__ martha Washington was her married name. She married Daniel
Custis. So, she was NOT the President's Wife.