SC - Apricot recipes?(was Byzantine Cooking)

Dan Gillespie dangilsp at intrepid.net
Fri Jan 2 13:43:45 PST 1998

I went to the State Library during lunch to find some information about
Marthe Washington's Booke of Cookery, instead I find the book, so here
is the skinny.

Hess, Karen; Matha Washington's Booke of Cookery: Columbia University
Press, New York, 1981.  ISBN 0-231-04930-7.

The book is two manuscripts, A Booke of Cookery and A Booke of
Sweetmeats, presented to Martha Dandridge in 1749, the year she married
Daniel Custis.  Later the Widow Custis married George Washington, thus
the title of the book.  In 1799, she gave the book to her granddaughter,
Nelly Custis.

Ms Hess places the recipes in the manuscripts as being Elizabethan and
Jacobean, dating approximately between 1550 and 1625, describing her
comparison of the recipes in the manuscripts with the recipes contained
in contemporary and earlier cookbooks.

Ice cream is referenced in the bibliography under Briggs.  His The New
Art of Cookery apparently contains the first recipe for ice cream
published in the US (1792).

Bear