SC - Da whole onion soup deal, including porrey chapeleyn

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Jan 3 22:23:53 PST 1998

Adamantius mentions French Onion Soup:

Understood. The problem is that Americans seem to think the dish is soup
of beef stock and cheese, both of which, in their commercially available
versions, are way too salty. Classically, French onion soup is made from
brown veal stock, ...

... No additional cheese or broiling is necessary for the
classic dish. You just lower the croutons onto the top of the soup and
serve.

Ok, cautions have come up before that traditional foods not necessarily
medieval. So my turn here. What are you defining as *classical*?
Is this a medieval onion soup or not?

If not, my question still stands, Does anyone know of a medieval onion
soup that uses a meat broth?

Thanks.
   Stefan li Rous