SC - Fw: [Mid] In Memory Of Jafar

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Sun Jan 4 04:47:53 PST 1998

> Adamantius writes:
>
> >Again, freezing food with ice requires an endothermic reaction,
> >the technology for which was, I believe, unknown in period.

ummmm...beg to differ milord, but you have spent an awful lot of your tax
dollars to teach me this stuff, so here I goes:
IIRC endothermic means a chemical reaction accompanied by the absorption of
heat.  This reaction in our application requires an endothermic reaction
only to have it happen quickly.  Heat transfer is a function of
differential temperature and flow.  Using salt to melt ice changes the flow
variable, sort of, and thus speeds up the process, but given a large enough
quantity of ice it will happen anyway.  It's just that the closer the temp
of what you're freezing get's to 32F, the slower the temperature change
becomes.  So, in theory, it coulda been done.  Just would've taken longer
than we can do it today.

Respectfully, Puck