SC - camp ovens

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Mon Jan 5 06:32:06 PST 1998

><< Stefan li Rous wrote:
> I've gotten the impression that seething is a hard simmer or a soft boil,
> just from the context of the recipes I've seen. Opinions, anyone?
> Adamantius, I know you're out there.
>  >>
>Mordonna replied:
>I am certainly no authority, but in my family, tea is "steeped", never boiled.
>A teapot is heated, then hot water is poured over  the tea in it, and it is
>covered and allowed to "steep" for several minutes.  Is it possible that
>"seethed" has degenerated into "steeped" in modern language?

Sorry, but I don't think so. *Seethed* is "boiled", plain and simple. It can
mean boiled in water, or if the directions indicate, in oil (ie:
deep-fried). I think we can all agree that steeping has a markedly different
effect on food than boiling.

Confused yet? Give us the recipe, Stefan, so we can see the context. I feel
another "Challenge" coming on.  I double-dog dare you! Let's play with it!

Aoife