SC - Couple of questions for ya'll...

Knott Deanna Deanna.Knott at gsc.gte.com
Mon Jan 5 07:55:07 PST 1998

> .  Individual ovens for the
> campsites was an idea I hadn't thunk of, had mostly thought about
> large
> ones for mass feasting.  But, do tell, what about construction?  Fire
> pits
> are one obvious requirement, but I LOVE the idea of individual little
> ovens
> for each encampment.
>
> Regards, Puck

the mennonite community on north carolina has a wonderful hearth in
their main kitchen you shoul see-
a guant hood over about a 12-14 foot wide by 6 foot deep area, along the
back wall is a basic hearth, along the left is a 2 hole kettle rest, and
along the right is a 5' dia beehive baking/roasting oven, i have been
trying to get my  lord to put one in the back yard for years!
next time i have the time, and the wherewithall to visit the
winston-salem area, i want to go back, take pictures and blueprint it. i
know it dates to the early 1700s, but it cant be that different as i
have a photo from el moro in PR that has a similar hearth arrangement of
hood over hearth, but not the kettle rests that dates to the 1500s.

you could make a pole shed with the mennonite hearth at one end, a
regular hearth at the other and half walls along the long sides as sort
of a  freeform outdoor small feast hall for 50, 60 people using timber
cut during clearing the land as a modular start for an enchanted ground
sort of area.
margali