SC - table manners

Charles McCathieNevile charlesn at sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au
Mon Jan 5 15:32:46 PST 1998

This seems to be a bit of an over-simplification. So here is another, but
more complex, simplified version of the story.
When the Anglo-Saxons invaded (They were a bunch of folks, from around
Northern Germany and Denmark and the Netherlands, mostly) they brought
their languages with them. These languages were germanic, and the british
language of the celts they pushed into wales and the north (welsh is an
anglo-saxon word meaning foreigner!) were displaced. Those celtic british
languages, along with Irish, go under the catch-all name Gaelic. In the
8th - 11th centuries, the Anglo-Saxon languages became closer, as England
was slowly united under the west-saxon and a few other kings. In
addition, a great deal of danish came into the language from the areas
where vikings settled. At one time, danish was a second language, and the
first lagauge of much of the north (Old Danish, this is). in 1016 King
Cnut of Denmark and Norway became king of England, following his father
Svein Forkbeards campaigns. In this situation Danish would have been
doing well, but it should be noted that old danish and anglo-saxon
languages were pretty closely related, and more or less mutually
comprehensible. Following the conquest in 1066, the language at court
became Norman French - and there followed a number of kings who could not
speak english. By the time english became a status language again it had
included lots of french words. It had also collected, from the time of
Alfred or so onwards, a fgrammar that was not native to the language, but
was required to translate Latin philosophical and religious works. From
this point (see for example Chaucer in, in London, or Piers Plowman in
the North) to modern English there were a whole lot of new words added -
usually derived from Latin or greek, or coined from those languages (eg
televison, depopulation) with a mixture from a fw other places (the raj,
the New World, Arabic, etc)

So it usually is possible to work out where a word comes from. Most of
our 'small words) me, him, the, and etc are Anglo-Saxon. 'It' is Norse
(so is take - the anglo-saxon 'nim' died out in the early modern period,
but most people will have seen it in cookbooks of the period) as are a
numberof other words for common things, especially geography, family,
etc. Things that look like french are likely to have been brouoght into
the language in the iddle-english period (~1100 - 1500), and if in doubt
about a modern word the answer is probably shakespeare (the linguistic
equivalent of heat and light in physics exams).

But note that this will not get you through more than a dinner-party exam...

Charles Ragnar