SC - OT - 12th night

Charles McCathieNevile charlesn at sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au
Mon Jan 5 22:10:45 PST 1998

Cauldrons are not as hard as all that - they simply require a reasonably
strong tripod and something to maniupalte the fire (a stick or three). A
perfectly good spit can be made from a decent bit of wood, rested on
something that won't burn (eg a very big stump or a rock). A medieval
frypan looks a lot like a round bit of metal with a handle, or there are
examples of medieval grills - stirps of metal rivetted together to make
the right shape. At least one (Mastermyr Tools etc, I think - Norway??)
had a chain from the corners, so it could be hung from a tallish tripod
or a chain off the roof or a big timber A frame.

A dutch oven (by the way, Australians have an alternative meaning for
the term 'dutch oven' (sometimes two alternatives) and are wont to use
the phrase 'camp oven' in its stead) is a hi-tech answer to combining a
few methods of cooking into the one implement - it bakes, it boils, it
fries, it flies (OK so it doesn't fly unless you throw it).

But a cauldron can get away with being considerably thinner - mine is
made from about 18ga steel segments, and works fine. I use a tripod I
made from the legs of a kitchen stool that broke - an early experiment in
blacksmithing ensued, and voila. It's a bit too small to be perfect, but
it works. It is also possible to rest the cauldron on a couple of rocks -
it just makes it harder to work the fire.

The general trick with the fire is to be producing coals at one end, and
moving them as required to the other end where the cooking takes place.

cheers

Charles Ragnar