SC - Romertopf?

margali margali at 99main.com
Tue Jan 6 05:48:18 PST 1998

Tara Sersen wrote:

> What is a romertopf?  I've never heard this word before, and I see it
> used several times in the last digest...
>
> Thank you!
>
> Marjorie

sorry, just showing my age. it is a cooking item fromthe 70's, a
casserole of unglazed red clay, you soak it with water and put in the
ingredients, add 1 cup of liquid and put it in a cold oven. turn on the
oven and ignore it for a set amount of time. it was to cook something in
moist heat, to make a chicken juicy and moist for example.
unfortunately, the food didnt really get browned. oops. it was really
good for doing a veal roast if you wanted to preserve the paleness of
the meat, though veggies would carmelize nicely-dont ask me why. if i
was doing a chicken, i always popped the top off for a 5 minute broil to
brown and crisp up the skin, but it does great if you seal the top and
build a fire around it at a camping event. sort of a germano-celt dutch
oven...
margali