SC - Soups...

Dan Gillespie dangilsp at intrepid.net
Tue Jan 6 07:39:56 PST 1998

> Date: Tue, 06 Jan 1998 08:47:11 -0500
> From: margali <margali at 99main.com>
> Subject: Re: SC - Modern English - OT
>
> > Wales is Cymru, and the language is Cymeric (if I remember the
> > spellings
> > correctly), not Gaelic.  The Irish are Gaels as are the Scots, who
> > take
> > their name from the Scotia (sic?), a pack of Irish sea rovers who
> > invaded Hibernia about the time Julius Caesar landed in Britain.
> >
> > Bear
>
> I was under the impresion the modern scotts and gaelic use came from the
> 500 ad immigration of the irish to the islands and scottish coast that
> became known as dal riadha....Cadell, where are you-can you shed any
> light on it?
> and also the differentiation of languages runs something like brythonic
> is breton french, cymeric is celtic-p and gaelic is celtic-q when in
> scots dialect and celtic-c when irish?
> margali

Thanks, Margali!

You just jogged my memory for the term I had been searching for.
Brythonic.

Celtic languages are properly divided into two families: The Goidelic
[celtic languages], being Scots Gaelic, Irish Gaelic or Erse, and, IIRC,
Manx. The Brythonic [celtic language] family includes Welsh, Breton, and
Cornish, and weren't there some Celts in Spain who spoke a Brythonic
language? Gallicians? Or were they Galateans? Can't recall. Brain too
old. Meep zorp flug.

Adamantius
troy at asan.com