SC - sca-cooks V1 #518 -Reply

David Young David.Young at rich.frb.org
Tue Jan 6 09:37:37 PST 1998

Food Rescue Express

Find out if your town has something like this... here, the Express
people pick up foodstuffs from participating restaurants and groceries
at the end of the business day (mostly after dark), and take the
materials to a centrally located kitchen (mostly at churches and the
Catholic elementary, I think) where the day's "take" is evaluated,
cooked and frozen in meal-size portions the same day (night, rather)!
Then re-distributed by other agencies, I think.

We have food banks and all, but the Express keeps tons of food daily out
of the land-fill, and this isn't even that big a town (120,000).  The
kitchen supervisor/cooks know how to take miscellaneous leftovers from a
couple of dozen restaurants (food that was cooked in advance but never
served, not plate scrapings!) and make more than soup!

Seems like lots of feast leftovers might fit into this category
(prepared in advance but substantially not touched...)  Even meat
leftovers (remains of chickens, meat pie servings still in the pan,
etc.-- from the serving platters, not plate scrapings) could probably
safely go into soups or stock pots, if they went the same day!

The above is just what I've gleaned from the occasional newspaper
article.  If anyone wants more info on the Express, write...

Chimene
patricia.r.dunham at ci.eugene.or.us
http://members.aol.com/gerekr/medieval.html (home)

 ----------
| From: LrdRas
| To: sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG
| Subject: SC - Food donations-OOP
| Date: Sunday, January 04, 1998 7:29AM
|
| In a message dated 98-01-04 03:02:05 EST, you write:
|
| << We once researched donating leftovers to a food bank. Seems
|  we could possibly get sued if something were wrong with any of the
unused
|  food. If anybody knows different I'd appreciate leads.
|
|  Corwyn >>
|
| In the 5 years that I was director of the Mission Harvest program at
St.
| Anthony's Center, not once did we question the source of donated food.
I do