SC - Making Soda

Tyrca Tyrca at aol.com
Tue Jan 6 17:59:33 PST 1998

To make CO2 without using the yeast process there are a few tricks you
can do with baking soda - look for a kids 'chemistry magic' type book.
It's the sort of thing you CAN do in the kitchen. Safely, even with kids.

Alternatively, the soda bombs that go in a standard Soda Siphon can be
bought heere in supermarkets, in the party goods section, or in bottle
shops (liquor shop / off-licence/add your own local term here)

A Soda Siphon is a reinforced bottle of some kind. with a tap and
provision to insert a small cyliinder of CO2. The cylinders are one-use -
the top is sealed with some kind of metal cap that is pierced by
something in the siphon. Soda Siphons were critical to any home bar until
about 20 years ago, and they are often found in Op Shops.

There was also a more modern version aimed at kids about 15 years ago.
Since it was called soda magic (or something) I assume it came from
America. (Soda here is what you guys call club soda) I think it is still
available in department stores.

Charles Ragnar