SC - chicken types-Period

LrdRas LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Jan 6 21:51:55 PST 1998

: > England, but not a common beverage until the 17th century. Tea, 16th
century
: > in the trading countries, already a commodity in the Turkic world prior
: > that date, probably generally in use 17-18th centuries. Sugar is much
older,
: > probably introduced (as a refined product) through Muslim Sicily. Oh,
did I
: > mention that Coffee was a medicinal before it was a beverage. There is a
: > single coffee bean surviving from the Golden Horde capital destroyed at
the
: > very end of the 13th century, as I recall. Coffee is, of course, from
: > Ethiopia and got to Egypt via Yemen. On the history of tea, note who
calls
: > it cha or chai and who calls it tea. Cha is north Chinese, tea is from
the
: > Fuchienese pronunciation of cha. Enough already... Paul D. Buell

   Some friends and I were discussing this very subject just last night.
The topic was actually about Green Tea.  One lady believed that the term
"green tea" referred to ANY dried leaf that was used to make tea, such as
Mint, Raspberry, and Comfrey leaves, as long as they produced a green
colored tea.  The other lady and I believe that the term "Green Tea" refers
specifically to the leaves of the Camelia plant which is used in making tea,
only when processed in such a way as to produce "green" tea, otherwise, the
same leaves (when processed differently) produce a Black Tea, which has
different medicinal properties.  We surmised that the term "tea" came from
China, and we have adapted it to cover several types of beverage, when in
fact it originally perhaps referred only to the Camelia leaf tea.  Do you
happen to have information which might confirm or deny these assumptions?
Information would be greatly appreciated.

- -Laurene
- -
*                                          The Tiny Zoo, inc.
*
*
*
*                                         Visit our Web Site!
*
*                            http://www.vr-net.com/~tinyzoo
*