SC - Dames

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Wed Jan 7 04:37:23 PST 1998

Looks like a worthy project. Think we should add our input to this one?

phlip at morganco.net

Never a horse that cain't be rode,

- ----------
: Date: Tuesday, January 06, 1998 12:35:15
: From: WARCC04.HERUM01
: To: echeek at lexmark.com; Middlebridge
: Subject: [Mid] Calling all book lovers!
:
:
:      Greetings unto all who receive this missive,
:      First of all, I would like to apologize for the length of this
request
:      for assistance.
:
:      Lady Saradwen recently posted a list of "must-have" books for
:      scribes/illuminators.  Her post, along with several others recently,
:      ties in closely to a project which I have been working on.  I am
:      endeavoring to create a virtual SCA library card catalog.  What do I
:      mean?  I would like to create lists of the "Top 5" reference books
for
:      a variety of arts, sciences and broad historical topics.  My goal
will
:      be to have this list posted on the internet so that anyone wishing to
:      research a topic could get a starter's list of good references, along
:      with the ISBN and OCLC reference numbers.  While this could not be
the
:      "difinitive" list of books, the goal is for it to be a starting point
:      to find good information sources from an SCA perspective.  I am
asking
:      your assistance in creating these lists of books.
:
:      For starters, I would like to begin with the following ten topics
:      listed below.  Once I get the system and details laid out, I will
post
:      additional topics to add to the list.  For starters, I would like to
:      begin with:  Calligraphy, Illumination, Embroidery (free form),
:      Embroidery (counted thread), Brewing & Vintning (Beer, Ale, Lager),
:      Brewing & Vintning (Wine & Mead), Brewing & Vintning (Specialty
:      Beverages), Basic Heraldry, Name Making Basics, and Vikings.
:
:      SO, if you had to pare down your research library (or if you could
:      buy the best books) for your area(s) of expertise, what would those
:      (maximum of five) books be for the above topics?  Note, Compleat
:      Anachronist booklets could also be appropriate for some topics and
:      some books may end up on more than one list.
:         Subject:
:         Title:
:         Author:
:         ISBN # (if known):
:         OCLC # (if known):
:         Any special comments:
:
:      Please post your lists to me privately at
:      warcc04.herum01 at ssw.alcoa.com so that we do not inundate the
:      Middlebridge.  Thank you so much for your assistance!  I will post
the
:      address once I establish a site and get the list going.
:
:      I remain yours in the love of good books!
:      Kirsten Thorsteinsdottir
:      Indiana Regional Seneschal-but not for too much longer...if I can
just
:      survive the **** Domesdays! ;)
: From:  "WARCC04.HERUM01" <WARCC04.HERUM01 at SSW.ALCOA.COM>
: +--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+    to unsubscribe, send a message to
: `~-,  ,-~`~-,  ,-~`~-,  ,-~`~-,  ,-~`    sca-middle-request at dnaco.net with
: .  |  |     |  |     |  |     |  |          'unsubscribe' as its body.