SC - Subscription request

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Thu Jan 8 09:30:04 PST 1998

> I don’t think this is quite right. I believe that in the Middle Ages
> and before, the day actually started at what we think of as sundown the
> day before. I think this gradually changed with the greater use of
> mechanical clocks.

Without turning this into a religious discussion (oh no mr bill!!!), I
believe it stems from Pagan tradition.  For Pagans, the 'day' begins at
dusk and runs to the following dusk.  Though Cristianity had ostensibly
been the major religion of the middle ages (in Europe), my studies lead me
to believe that this was for public display.  The average serf, and many of
the nobility as well, were Christian in church, but still pagan in belief.

my .02, Puck