SC - Distilling

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Thu Jan 8 09:49:59 PST 1998

Chimene said:

Hey, that's great news (almonds in the coffee grinder)!  Years (15-20?)
ago I did almond-milk almonds in a blender and it was a moderate pain.
(But nothing like doing them by hand, I assume!!  A great conspicuous
consumption item, almond milk has always seemed to me-- "not only can I
import these nuts from at least the south of France, if not further,
- -------

I thought almonds were fairly common. Does anyone have any idea how
common they were through northern France or England as opposed to
southern Europe?

Another question just occured to me. Has anyone ever charted the fast
days when almond milk was used instead of animal milk? What happens
if you stop milking your livestock during these times? Does the milk
dry up? Or were these times when the milk wasn’t generally available
anyway? Or would they have continued milking the animals and just
thrown out the milk (which I doubt) or make products that would
keep such as cheese?

Earlier on this list it was mentioned that there was a market for
unborn rabbits during lent because they weren’t considered meat.
However to get these you have to kill the mother and forgo a litter
of rabbits that would grow into bigger rabbits. Not exactly the idea
efficent production, so perhaps this idea of conspicuous consumption
may not be as far off as I was first thinking it was.

Stefan li Rous