SC - Generic, No-Frills

Marisa Herzog marisa_herzog at macmail.ucsc.edu
Fri Jan 9 09:16:13 PST 1998

>      How "soupy" do you find it works best? I don't have it in front of me,
>but I don't think it indicates, could be nearly dry meat or a stew.

I don't have our worked out version here (still traveling). By memory,
soupy enough to be good over rice.

> And the
>meat is supposed to be "cut small"--have you been reading this as minced or
>just small pieces?

Small pieces.

>And one last minor querry--it calls for mastic, which I
>would have to mail order. How strong a flavor does mastic have, and what might
>it be similar to? (In other words, if I just leave it out will it make a big
>difference, and is there a reasonable substitute?)

It has a strong flavor and it is similar to turpentine--or, more politely,
retsina. Resiny. We use it in very small quantities (typically 1/16 t for a
recipe that uses a pound or two of meat), and in those quantities find that
it adds a noticeable and attractive tang.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/