SC - Re: [Mid] Suggestions needed

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Fri Jan 9 19:32:27 PST 1998

David Friedman (Master Sir Cariadoc) wrote:

> Crystal writes:
> >I beg your pardon. For simplicity's sake I did not use fresh rose petals
> >for this particular redaction. Normally I do, but a sufficent rose
> >petals are hard to find this time of year.
>
> My main point was not that you had used extract instead of fresh petals but
> that you had converted an unfermented drink, consisting of a syrup to be
> diluted in water, into a fermented drink--roughly the equivalent of
> redacting grape juice as champagne.

<sigh> just when I thought it was safe to go back in the water.

If you left the diluted syrup in a open vessel in my kitchen it would
ferment slightly and have a slight fizz in a few days. Between the
brewing and the bread, most sugary beverages will ferment in my kitchen.
I realize for many medieval households that bought thier bread and ale
this would not be a problem. However, it was the neglected container of
dilute syrup that fermented on my counter that gave me the idea for a
slightly fizzy medivaloid soda. I suppose that a good medieval Muslim
would have thrown away a slightly fermented beverage, but considering
the price of sugar, I think many of them would have drunk the concoction
if it was still sweet.

I do not believe this is the equivalent of redacting grape juice as
champagne, it is redacting grape juice into wine. Grape juice will
ferment in my kitchen too. Fermentation into a slightly fizzy beverage
is a natural process that will happen anywhere. Making champagne (good
champagne, anyway) is complicated and deliberate process.

Master Cariadoc, if you will take the last public rebuttle, I will reply
to your next post privatly so we can continue this discussion.

sincerely yours,
Crystal of the Westermark