SC - OT-Alchemy v. Chemistry

Rodney K Zeigler zeig0006 at tc.umn.edu
Sun Jan 11 09:35:38 PST 1998

No catalysts, no other products: it happens every bleedin' time water and
carbon dioxide get together. FORTUNATELY, CO2 is nearly insoluble in water,
so most of it just bubbles through, not reacting. Even that which does
react isn't too much of a worry, because H2CO3 is unstable enough that most
of it decomposes back into water and CO2 as soon as equilibrium shifts;
i.e. opening a container of carbonic acid, beer, whatever. Ergo, bubbles.
And the only reason CO2 is handy for firefighting is that it A.) is heavier
than 02 and B.) isn't 02. End result, the C02 sinks, displacing the oxygen
up and away from the actual reaction.

Kent (Not only am I chemically inclined, my dad was an fireman/arson
investigator.)