SC - blood oranges

Seton1355 Seton1355 at aol.com
Mon Jan 12 12:58:51 PST 1998

>I just found this wonderful book at Borders Bookstore.  Perhaps some of you
>might be interested.
>
>The Food Chronology by James Trager, Henry Holt Publisher, 1995
>
>It's basicly a food timeline and chock full of useful & interesting info.
>
>Pax, Phillipa Seton

I agree, it's a good book.  I use it as a starting point for outlining
things I want to research.  However, I will make a few caveats.

Trager, both in his The Food Chronology and his earlier The Foodbook,
does not appear to do a great deal of research, depending on the
scholarship of others for accuracy.  He presents a generally accepted
view of food history, but he tends to ignore scholarly disputes.  His
major sin is not providing source notes of a bibliography.

BTW, I think the MS Encyclopedia has incorporated parts of The Food
Chronology.  A number of the subjects in the Encyclopedia use precisely
the same wording as The Food Chronology.

Bear