SC - Steppes 12th Night Report - apologies

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Mon Jan 12 13:55:52 PST 1998

> Date:          Mon, 12 Jan 1998 14:19:35 -0600
> From:          mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com (Michael F. Gunter)

 The people began coming...and coming... and coming. I had hoped for
around 375,
> cooked for around 400. When the gate hit 400 the autocrats started to get worried,
> I said "no problem" I can stretch things to 450 if need be".  As the count reached
> 445 it was suggested that I not allow feast to anyone else. "No, I will feed
> everybody for that is the Swedish tradition!" said the not-too-bright Ansteorran
> knight. As the gate count reached 500, the said dim-wit began to sweat as well.

The hall was filled to capacity.  It was the largest Steppes 12th
Night of record.

<BIG Snip >
> I've taken to calling this my "loaves and fishes" feast. I even had leftovers,
> though not many. If anybody partook of this feast I would like to know your
> impressions, both pro and con.

What I received of the feast was delightful.  I was served a slice of
bread  with honey, carrot & parsnip tart, and collops of beef.  Then
the Crown met with the laurels.  While I was out, green beens and
rice were added to my empty plate.  When I returned, the server
arrived with a custard (I think).

I was looking forward to tasting a bite of each dish, but I never saw
most of the dishes.  Unfortunately, because I was being very
discriminate in portion, I ended up at the end needing to
supplement the feast.  What I did taste was good, making allowances
for the size of the crowd etc.

I just presumed that because of the size of the event, the period
practice of not serving everyone everything happened.

> I will post a menu with commentary in a later post.
>
> There you have it. I'm still tired.

Great Job!

> Yers,
>
> Gunthar

Ya'll missed a great event and feast.

Phyllis L. Spurr
Texas Department of Health
Public Health Region 2/3
Tuberculosis Elimination Division
pspurr at r03.tdh.state.tx.us

also known in the SCA as:
Meistres Eowyn ferch Rhys Gyfurdd
acting Central Regional Seneschal
residing in the Barony of Elfsea, Ansteorra