SC - Personal info

SAMANTHA SMALL/CHP small1 at jeflin.tju.edu
Tue Jan 13 11:29:01 PST 1998

A few months ago, we had discussions on Above the salt feasts.  I am
currently reading "The Original Mediterranean Cuisine" by Barbara
Santich and she gives a quote I thought was interesting.

'Certain foods are more appropriate to the nobles and those who lead a
contemplative life,'

It goes on to list:

'and these are partridges and pheasants, chicken, capons, hares, kid and
rabbit, prepared in various ways; others are more appropriate to robust,
labouring types, and these include the meat of bulls and rams, salted
pork, peas and beans and coarse barley bread.'

So if you were a cook in these times (this is taken from a Latin text of
the late thirteenth century) what would you make for an "above the salt
course"  and then the "below the salt course" for a feast?

Murkial

Christi Redeker
Digital Equipment Corporation
Colorado Springs, Co