SC - onion soup - IP

DUNHAM Patricia R Patricia.R.DUNHAM at ci.eugene.or.us
Tue Jan 13 14:34:00 PST 1998

I don't have any of my sources right now. I have been researching pottery
from the middle ages which naturally includes plates. However, my
impression from reading various period cookbooks and research is that the
English peasants would have used either wood or pottery (it was very
cheaply made and cheap to buy) before the 1500's. The upperclass used
mostly bread trenchers until the 1500's when they went to using wood,
pewter and silver trenchers. I have read some evidence the upper class
used wood somewhat but not at the larger feasts.  Pottery wasn't used
much as plates by the upper class until majolica made it to England in
late period. Pottery was relatively crude in England until that time.  In
Italy on the other hand, folks of all classes were using pottery & wood
and the uppers used pewter & silver much, much earlier.  But of course,
us Italians were always much more civilized.

Clarissa