SC - That Story

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Wed Jan 14 11:24:50 PST 1998

Now, Noble Sir Gunthar, you aren't going to make me tell all the nice
people on this list the story of the Death of Vatel again, are you?
That's what we do to naughty kitcheners and autocrats who agonize over
event problems in hindsight. There was a big, involved thread on the
East Kingdom list last year about why things went wrong at some event,
and whose fault it all was, and the story killed it like a gunshot.
Don't make me get rough!

I know you're upset that things didn't go according to plan, but if you
always do as best you can, at the time, with what you've got, then
you've done a lot more than many, and all that can reasonably be
expected. I don't expect you to believe that just now, of course, but
it's true anyway.

It sounds as if many of your problems were with service, and that's not
your problem, I suspect. Great chefs have looked down on waiters as an
inferior species for centuries now; why should your experience be any
different? (Thass a joke, son. My apologies to all the servers out there
who do their jobs well and gracefully! I know you're out there!
Professionally, my experience has been that waiters are often made
scapegoats for problems in the kitchen, but this isn't always entirely
unjustified. Just sometimes.)

Anyway, as long as you learned, than your time was used profitably,
which is often more than _I_ can say about myself!

Now go a bit easier on yourself, or you'll get that blasted story!

Adamantius
troy at asan.com