SC - Brandy

JTRbear JTRbear at aol.com
Wed Jan 14 21:18:13 PST 1998

> Date: 14 Jan 1998 16:17:11 -0800
> From: "Marisa Herzog" <marisa_herzog at macmail.ucsc.edu>
> Subject: Re: SC - Scotch Eggs
>
>                       RE>SC - Scotch Eggs                          1/14/98
>
> <snip>WOW!!!  Thank you!!  I had one (SINGLE) bite of a Scotch Egg at an
> eventlast summer.  There was no way I could eat more than <snip>think I would
> like to try this baked version, sounds like something that would not be as
> hazzardous to my health!  My husband loved those Scotch Eggs <snip>Maybe the
> kids will eat them too?
> - -Laurene
>
> You are quite welcome!  These are still *very* rich, but I am sure that baking
> or roasting (ooh on a skewer over the fire pit!?) would make them a little
> leaner, your choice or make of sausage coating would probably control the fat.
>  Somebody eating with us also suggested making "scotch devils" by cutting them
> in half and mixing the yolks with the mustard and then refilling them.
> The kids could probably *make* them too!
> - -brid

Another possible way to reduce the fat slightly is to use lean raw ham,
ground up. I recall reading somewhere that the original dish was made
with ham, and that the sausage version was introduced later. Don't
recall offhand where I ran across this info.

I believe the dish was originally used by 19th-century English chefs
(yes, they did exist) as a garnish for roast game, and entered the Pub
Food repertoire later.

Adamantius
troy at asan.com