SC - Welcome Lord Jean-Yves

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt liontamr at ptd.net
Thu Jan 15 07:06:54 PST 1998

> >> I have _concentrated_ mead by freezing (which is legal, while
> >> distillation for non-fuel purposes is _not_!)

in any case, if you happen to be "chilling" your mead and it happens
to get slushy and when you decant it some of the slush remains, i
guess that's just tough luck, now isn't it? :)

besides, i would thing the two processes would produce very different
results...

the hot method will only remove stuff which evaporates yielding a more
pure alcohol with less solid matter bound in the drink.  Also the heat
may change the character of the brew..

the cold method takes out things which freeze with the water (i'm not
sure, but i thought that water will freeze mostly pure in mixtures)
leaving any precipitates still in suspension.

now... if you hot distilled the stuff.... boiled off some water, and
then added the alcohol back to the original, then you'd have some of
the solids left.....

not a chemist,
flip