SC - Fruits

Angela Conn fianna at mail.geocities.com
Thu Jan 15 18:42:50 PST 1998

Oy vey!  The best answer I can give you here is that you should request
John Parkinson's "A Garden of Pleasant Flowers (Paradisi in Sole Paradisus
Terrestris)", London, 1629, reprinted by Dover Publ., New York, 1976, from
your library.  This book goes into detail about many types of garden fruits
& has descriptions & illustrations of many of them.

>Good Gentles All-
>
>Looking through several late-period cookbooks, I'm finding lots of recipes
>for preserving fruits, and have the following questions:
>
>- I read or was told by someone (wish I could remember) that Pippins
>referred to a specific type of apple which is no longer available. Anyone
>know if this is true? If so, what is the best sort of apple to replace them
>with. What about Costers, another (earlier?) term for apples? Are they also
>a specific type, or a generic term?

Costers are Costard apples, I believe.

>- Several recipes call for "Pear-Plums" while others just say "Plums". How
>do these differ from each other?
>
>- Same for the terms "Pears" and "Wardens". Are Wardens a specific type of
>pear?

Yes.  There are/were several types of "wardens."  Gerard complains that
there are too many types of apples & pears to have any hope of listing them
all.

>- How about "Damsins" and "Plums"?

Yes.

>- Rasberries, raspiss, respass, rasps (all terms found in a single book)?

<snip>

HTH,

Cindy/Sincgiefu
renfrow at skylands.net