SC - 12th Night Recipes - Boiled Cream Custard

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Fri Jan 16 10:14:52 PST 1998

Hi everyone,

I promised a report of the dishes I used so here goes:

I used many of the dishes already familiar on this list but I will go over
some of the more popular ones and my expiriences anyway.

One of the most popular dishes served, and the only one I really ran out of was
Lombardy Brewet.

This is from "An Ordinance of Pottage" and I didn't make any changes to the
redaction from the book.

3 cups boiled chicken			1-2 tsp butter
2 oz (1/2 cup) ground almonds		1/4 tsp ground mace
2 slices white bread			1/4 tsp ground ginger
4 cooked egg yolks			1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 cup chopped parsley			2 tsp vinegar
1/8 tsp pepper				1 tsp salt (to taste)
2 cups boiling water or chicken broth

Draw up the almond milk with 2 cups water or chicken broth. Let steep
for 15 minutes then strain.

When it is steeping, grind or blend together the egg yolks, bread, and parsley.
Blend some of the almond milk in, then add the mixture to the rest of the almond
milk with the pepper.

Pour this sauce over the chicken in a pot and simmer, stirring occasionally. When
the sauce has thickened slightly, add the butter, then dissolve the remaining
spices in the vinegar, stir in and add salt to taste.

I served this in bread bowls at the feast.

It is wonderfully rich and very tasty with the hint of the aromatics. It's actually
pretty easy to do. The hardest part was making all of that blasted almond milk.

I used the broth from boiling the chicken for the almond milk. I ground the almonds
to a fine powder in my coffee grinder (yes, it is used only for almonds). Another
thing I did was separate the yolks from the whites and boiled the egg yolks alone.
We used the raw whites as glazing for the tarts.

Yers,

Gunthar