SC - Correction - Capon w/Orange or Lemon Sauce

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Fri Jan 16 12:32:15 PST 1998

>Hi all from Anne-Marie!
>Sure, modnern German food uses lots of beer (and with good reason!
>mmmm....), but I have yet to see a primary german recipe source that even
>mentions it. Go figure! So, we're back to the original question, what is it
>about MEDIEVAL german food that would make someone go "yup, this is
>medieval german food"?
>
>--AM

Actually, I wasn't talking about cooking with beer, but drinking it.
Beer is only and occasional ingredient in German cooking.  Bogdan swears
that all beer should be eaten with a spoon (my beer is too thin).
Obviously, he is a Pirminator (double boch) drinker.

What constitutes Medieval German cooking is difficult to say.  There
would be differences depending on what foodstuffs were generally
available in a region.  The northern region would use more fish, while
the southern region would use more meat, etc.  Were I really pushed, I
might also say:  "Cherries, apples, hazelnuts, cinnamon, nutmeg, sweet
dishes, sour dishes."

Charlemange incorporated the German states into the Carolingian Empire
around 800 C.E.  and they became part of the Holy Roman Empire when it
was officially recognized in 962.  The HRE officially died in 1806, but
it was effectively dead by the mid-16th Century.  So German cooking
would probably have been heavily influenced by early French cooking.  I
posted a couple of translations here a short while back which would give
you an idea of the foods available around 800-900.

For later recipes, you might try Das Buch von Guter Speise, a
translation of which is available on the Web and in paper,  This dates
from about 1354.

Other possible sources (which I do not have copies of dang it):

1400    Manuscript DII30 at the University of Basel (there is a
published thesis of about 40 copies)
1485    Kuchenmeisterei (The Mastery of the Kitchen)
1553    Das Kochbuch der Sabrina Welserin
1581    Das Neu Kockbuch (I think this is part of Cariadoc's translation
project) (Rumpolt)
1603    Speisebuchlein:  Darrinnen Kurtzer Vnterricht von allerley
Speise vnd Trank so zur Menchlichen Nahrung dienlich... (Hubner)
1609    Ein Schon kunstlich Kochbuchlein von Vielen vnd manchen Richten
(original currently in the Passau Glasmuseum)
1719    Neues Saltzburgisches Koch-buch

It's not much help, but it's what I've got.

Bon Chance

Bear