SC - Fw: [Mid] Black day in history

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Fri Jan 16 15:35:53 PST 1998

Folks,

	Once again I humbly beg your assistance...

	I'm putting together a "cook's workshop" prior to my March feast.  The date of this workshop is 1/31 (a Saturday, of course) and my plan is to get the majority of my kitchen staff assembled and to test-run some of the recipes that are new to me.
	For those of you who have experience teaching cooking classes / workshops / symposia, can you give me some major pointers?  Not necessarily a rundown on how-to-teach-a-class (I've done that before) but major pitfalls to look out for (like, do/don't take them all shopping with you; do/don't spend more/less than 2 hours reading recipes first, etc.)

	So far I have:  1) checked the date and made sure most folks will be available; 2) given my staff plenty of advance warning; 3) invited the event autocrat and the seneschal, just to be PC; and 4) advised my roommates and scheduled time to clean the kitchen ahead of time.

	Also, (final, pathetic, whimpering plea) does ANYONE know what the philosophy is behind menu-planning in period times?  I feel a little silly just choosing dishes at random and stuffing them into a remove... dare I assume that is what everyone on this list tends to do, since no one has come up with a better answer as of yet?

	Thank you in advance for your assistance; and thanks for your patience in listening to my endless questions on this theme...

	- kat