SC - Aoife's Bull

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Sat Jan 17 05:39:08 PST 1998

Hi all from Anne-Marie
Elisande asks:
> >>To keep this from being a total waste of time, does anyone have a
fairly
> >>period recipe for pasties or were they OOP ?

The concept of food wrapped in dough is extremely medieval. Every medieval
source I've looked at has something that fits this description. I've sweet
ones, like the Rapyes one that was posted earlier, and savory ones like the
chicks in pastry from le Menagier or the 12th century Northern European
source (mmm...pastellum...chicken wrapped in bacon and fresh sage leaves
then baked in dough...). There's mushroom pasties from le Menagier, and
rissoles (fried dough units filled with fruit and nuts and sometimes fish)
Of course, we all know aobut food being cooked in "coffyns", ie dishes made
of dough (sometimes edible, sometimes not).

In the medieval french, I am told that "pastez" can be pie or a small tart
or even just "pastry", so I feel comfortable making them whatever size I
need at the time.

So I'd say yes, if you mean "pasty" as a small handheld food unit wrapped
in dough, they're period. Of course, if you mean a small handheld food unit
filled with a mixture of meat and vegetables, as in Cornish pasty, that's
another thing altogether.

- --AM